Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Summer's Gone for the School Year

Well this week has been quite a ride. I had intended on posting a new blog last weekend, but unfortunately and very stupidly I left my laptop in Abilene, TX when I left for school. Thankfully, I noticed only two hours after I arrived in Joplin (ten hours after I departed from Abilene). But my parents came to the rescue and shipped my laptop to me. It arrived yesterday afternoon, just in time for classes, which started today.

But anyway, on to what I really wanted to blog about. At the end of my internship I was required to type a 500 word reflection about my summer for the OCC website, so I'm going to post just that:

This summer has been quite the experience, to say the least. It was more than just a summer filled with great experiences. It was God-ordained, from the very beginning to the very end. He appointed me to Trinity Church in Lubbock, TX for the summer of 2010.

Going into the summer I was very lost and weak (physically, emotionally, and spiritually). Sophomore year proved to be a great challenge for me and it exhausted every ounce of energy I could muster. When the end of spring semester started to narrow down, I was presented with what I saw as a new obstacle. I began to contemplate switching majors, from music to church counseling (two degrees on complete opposite ends of the spectrum) and it ate away at my mind like crazy. I had invested two full years of school solely on music, and now I wasn’t sure if I was misled or not from the beginning. Plus, I had never really considered counseling, and all of a sudden, I was considering counseling. I became very discouraged.

But from day one of working at Trinity Church, God reassured to me that he had everything under control and that he had a plan for me. It took him awhile to tell me what the big plan was, but then again, I had a lot to recover from in due time.

Within the first couple of weeks, God’s healing over me (physically, emotionally, and spiritually) was absolutely remarkable. I had many self-inflicted wounds that I wasn’t even aware of until God reopened them so that he could heal them completely. And I fell in love all over again. The Holy Spirit became real to me again. After being so dry for so long, I was filled again. Again. And again. And again. Over and over, God revealed himself to me. I have never been so aware of God’s presence and prayer has never been easier. God was very direct in his leading and prayer after prayer was answered in such profound ways. There were times when my heart felt it was physically going to erupt in my chest. Every time I breathed in, my lungs and airways felt so full of the Holy Spirit’s presence that I knew I was going to burst. But every time I breathed out, I felt like I wasn’t getting enough. It was a feeling of complete satisfaction and at the same time such hunger for more.

If I had to sum up this summer into one word, it would be this: Profound. Everything God ever did and said was absolutely profound. What I initially thought was an obstacle ended up being a remarkable opportunity. God could never ask me to give up music, but he has given me a new direction: acquiring a Bachelor’s in Psychology and Counseling and an Associates in Church Music. I have never been so grateful, so in love, and so amazed at what God has done. Thank you, Jesus.

Oh. And I have a boyfriend now. His name is Daniel Baker and he is absolutely wonderful. (I didn't write this in my essay, but I wanted to share the news)

No comments:

Post a Comment